Saturday, April 16, 2011

Why is my camera is a Cactus today??!!!

So I'll start from the top...I have another job other than my photography...Not so shocking I know! Anyone starting out in the field of photography will tell you that you need some other means of cash follow to keep you fed and clothed...And just as importantly up to date on camera hardware, software and sometimes even training.

My dual life is quite an intresting effort, not difficult to manage most days... Most of my work life is spent as an Information Systems Analyst... I've been a PC technician from around 1999... I must say in those years I've seen so many changes and revolutions in my field that my mind still ponders on the days of old...How far we've come and how sometimes I can't help but Imagine that one day we'll be in some scifi film come true, I just pray it's one of the few positive dreamt up futures.

So what you may ask is the purpose of this post it doesn't seem to match the title...
Well here goes... Friday afternoon (at tech work) I was going through the motions of the standard day of customer request and repairs... When in a bit of misfortune lead me to a painful out come... I was repairing a PC that at the time was not even powering on... turns out that the CPU (aka the processor) was overheating, due to dust clogging all of the heat sink vents under the cooling fan.

I did some thing smart then something stupid...I unplugged the power to the PC (standard smart lol) and disconnected, then slowly removed the fan and heat sink by holding the plastic fan case (pretty smart...), which is clipped onto the heat sink... here's where the stupid comes in...The heat sink had to be removed in order to clean it correctly, normal an easy enough task...but for some reason all of a sudden I forgot the reason the computer wasn't working in the first place. Heat!!! Due to stress of the day or just plain lasp of judgement I pushed the two clips next to the metal heat sink with my two thumbs at the same time in an attempt to un-clip the heat sink from the fan... "Crack!!!" whoops the force breaks the already weaken by heat plastic clips and my two thumbs slam right onto the super hot metal!!! I drop the hot "potato" to the desk and the pain sets in!!

I see blood, but feel fire!!! Some how I'd managed to burn my thumbs and cut two nice little slices right in the crease where my thumbs bend just below my finger print!! Bit of bleeding and a lite burn blister..What happens next you can imagine.. I quickly patched myself up with paper towel and finished the job lol!! Replaced the damaged fan and heat sink... made sure all worked and was "cool" then "sheepishly" went on to deal with other jobs, with both thumbs sporting band aids...

So here's the thing.. Have you tried taking photographs with out thumbs lol it's near impossible I felt truly like a lesser animal, I couldn't bend my thumb correctly due to the stinging pain. Gripping my camera was like holding a small cactus.

I was sure now that my weekend shoots would be doomed for sure, I had two shoots lined up (none paying) but they were going to add to my portfolio not to mention really fun and I had planned both out for the last week in my head.

As I messed around with my camera trying to figure a way to hold and take a picture later that night, out of the blue both models at different times called up to rain check for later in the week... What bad luck :( ...I now won't get to try out all the new techniques I came up with for shooting without fully working thumbs :P

But I figure I'll just work on a few other shoots...Macro work anyone :) Gotta see how a real panda would take pictures :) no thumbs...minor problem :)   

No comments:

Post a Comment